Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is a pure, time-tested mineral compound with a wide range of usages.
It’s popular for contributing to bathing water whereby it can supply the human anatomy with the two main natural chemical ingredients since the absorption through the skin is the best method to get these crucial substances.
The history of Epsom Salt
Everything started back in 1618. A farmer in Epsom noticed that his cows did not choose to drink the water on his farm because of its bitter taste.
That he also learned that the same bitter water has the ability to accelerate the healing of scratches and skin issues like rashes. Word spread slowly, and Epsom salt was born.
Epsom became the first Spa town, even though in old age was overtaken by towns who spa water springs could produce greater degrees of water.
Looking and feeling good
Epsom Salt is known for the effectiveness in beauty treatments, and in well-being and overall health. The two main usages of Epsom Salt as beauty treatments are for improving the quality of your hair and enhancing skin health.
Epsom salt and skin health
Your body is constantly producing new cells. The old cells die and the new ones replace them at a rate about 1 million a day. The majority of the dust that is in your house consists of your dead skin cells. Within one year, we shed about 8 pounds of dead skin.
The outer layer of the skin is constantly covered in dead skin cells. If they are perhaps not completely removed they could remain behind and clog up the newest skin cells. Because of this , why we exfoliate. Exfoliation is the process in which we slough off all the dead skin, leaving the healthier new skin cells to breathe easily.
Epsom salt is a great exfoliator
You’ll need to apply something slightly abrasive in order to exfoliate successfully. But, that will not be too abrasive because you will make your skin sore. Apply handfuls of Epsom Salt to wet or damp skin and rub it well.
Then, wash it off, or even to get even more benefits, you can relax in an Epsom Salt bath. You can also add some coconut oil to your bath water which acts as a skin moisturizer. Add ½ cup into a tub full of water or less if you prefer. All of it depends on the natural oil content of one’s skin.
Epsom salt as an acne treatment
Epsom salt is very beneficial in the case of acne. The exfoliation process is essential since it cleans the pores of one’s skin. This incredible salt has powerful antimicrobial properties which could fight off any acne bacteria.
Epsom salt as a hair care treatment
Epsom salt can help you to remove noxious substances, add volume to the hair on your head, and clean your scalp. Just add Epsom salt to your hair conditioner and apply it in your scalp. Let it mean 20 minutes then you can certainly rinse with tepid to warm water.
The benefits of Epsom Salt for health and wellbeing
As we mentioned before, adding Epsom salt to your bath water is the best way so that you can obtain the maximum benefits. You need to add 2 cups of Epsom salt per bathtub.
The roles of magnesium and sulfate
Magnesium is a mineral required for the proper function of one’s body systems. It plays an important role in the regulation and activity in excess of 325 enzymes, a number of which are responsible for reducing the hardening of the arteries, enhancing muscle and nerve function, and reducing inflammation.
Sulfate, however, can increase the body’s absorption of nutritional elements and promote detox.
Working together, the combination of these two powerful compounds can provide numerous health benefits, including:
- Relives joint pain
- Reduces tension and stress
- Prevents hardening of the arteries
- Soothes and relaxes sore muscles
- Improves bone integrity
- Reduces the risk of diabetes through enhanced insulin management
- Really helps to prevent blood clots from forming
- Helps you to lessen bruise inflammation
Soothes sprain pain
- Helps to prepare your human body for a good night’s sleep
- Helps the human anatomy to detoxification
You can obtain most of these benefits, by taking Epsom Salt bath 2-3 times a week. Also, there are other healthy benefits that Epsom Salt can provide when administered differently:
- Foot health: In order to soothe foot pain, eliminate any odor, and soften rough and hard skin, you should add half a cup of Epsom salt to a bowl of hot water and soak your own feet in
- To treat constipation: Add 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt to a glass of water. The magnesium sulfate found in Epsom salt can draw water into the bowel, ergo softening any stools and making them easier to pass. Nevertheless , before using, you ought to consult with your doctor.
- Bug bites and skin inflammation: Dissolve 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt into fifty per cent of a glass of heated water and let it cool. Then, you can affect the affected
- Mild sunburn: The same solution for bug bites can be used to soothe mild sunburn.